Follow by Email

Sunday, February 24, 2013

#oldbikeissues

Today we got down and dirty and found a few things out. 1. Shifter seals are not easy to get out. 2. You have to have a lot of patience when cleaning an old engine. 3. My rectifier was the issue all along.

1. I had haggled around with the shifter seal before but didn't get anywhere. Knowing that was my main engine leak and really only one left after changing the head gasket. The shifter seal has been replaced after attempt 2 and about 1 hour each time. I had to shred every bit of rubber off the seal and finally got my needle noses around it enough to pull it out, clean up the area, and get the new one in.

2. Noticing a lot of gas residue stains on the motor from when my pet cock leaked, I ended up taking some 1000 grit sand paper, and polishing the engine up a bit. It takes a long time to get that thing clean. I wasn't able to (because of my aching old man back) sand and clean up all of it, but I did have a can of brake cleaner to help me with the rest of the cleaning. I really don't have to much to clean up, I am just short on time when I actually do work on it.

3. Rectifier is done for. After reading a few articles and doing a few tests, my rectifier is running at 29 volts into the lights. No wonder they blew. So I did end up getting my replacement lights to install, but have to purchase a new rectifier before I end up installing them. So more $$ is needed.

I did also raise the rear springs so hopefully I don't have to move the whole skateboard fender. If the bike still rubs, then I will have to move my skateboard fender. Got some ideas for that.

Few pictures. Shifter seal, side of bike without seat, and wiring cluster eff that probably only makes sense to me. Hopefully will be ordering the rectifier soon. Will update as soon as possible.

See you soon! About 95% finished.

3 comments:

  1. I know it has been over a year since you did this project, but I have a question for you. I have the same bike and I would like to make it into a cafe racer as well. how much did your project run you(not including the bike), also how does she run now that you have had time to run her more? One last question, I think my shifter seal is leaking and will need to be replaced. how difficult was it? thabks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matthew,

    It has been a bit since I did this and I think about $400 total. If I put a bit more time and money it could have looked better, but it ran great. These Suzuki bikes take a beating and want more. She ran great after the carb jetting, and new wiring harness with a regulator/rectifier (known to go out!)

    All of the seals were cake to replace. The shifter seal is a common leak on these. Pulling out the shifter seal was a little harder because the rubber melts to the case where it sits, but after a smaller flat head working all angles, it popped out. New one was easy it just popped in.

    Feel free to ask but It might take a day or so to answer.

    Good luck,

    Isaiah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matthew,

    It has been a bit since I did this and I think about $400 total. If I put a bit more time and money it could have looked better, but it ran great. These Suzuki bikes take a beating and want more. She ran great after the carb jetting, and new wiring harness with a regulator/rectifier (known to go out!)

    All of the seals were cake to replace. The shifter seal is a common leak on these. Pulling out the shifter seal was a little harder because the rubber melts to the case where it sits, but after a smaller flat head working all angles, it popped out. New one was easy it just popped in.

    Feel free to ask but It might take a day or so to answer.

    Good luck,

    Isaiah

    ReplyDelete